Most current waste and recycling collection systems follow a static model, where containers are picked up regardless of their content or fill level.
This inefficiency has an impact on monetary, environmental, and community costs, with some containers overfilling before they are collected, while others sit empty, yet are picked up anyway. There wasn’t a better way, so we created one.
Victor Stanley Relay™ modernizes this system by monitoring the fill levels and weights of all containers, so that they can be collected at the optimal time. This service saves on collection expenses and ensures resources are allocated efficiently, while reducing fuel costs, carbon footprints, and unsightly overflowing waste.
Customers pay a small monthly subscription fee. Yearly and multi-year subscriptions are available.
- Efficient resource allocation saves an estimated 20-40% in collection expenses
- Optimization of collection fleet reduces fuel waste, traffic congestion, and environmental impact
- Monitoring of containers provides holistic view of an area’s trash and recycling status and improves landfill diversion rates
Victor Stanley Street Level Sensing™
An all-in-one solution, Victor Stanley Relay™ features fully integrated sensors within new and existing Victor Stanley litter receptacles and recycling stations, wireless communications, and dedicated web portal for access to container conditions.
Utilizing our 54-years of experience, we designed our proprietary Street Level Sensing™ technology to meet the challenges site furnishings face in high-use, commercial and urban environments at the street level. This means that fill level, weight, system temperature, container location, and collection status are continuously monitored — and real-time container conditions are automatically transmitted to the Victor Stanley Relay™ Service using standard cellular networks.
To maintain aesthetics, Victor Stanley Relay™ Sensors can be hidden within any Victor Stanley side loading litter receptacle or recycling station. But smart design is only part of the story because our sensors are designed and built to remain reliable and accurate even in harsh environmental conditions. And they work with any type of waste (general trash, mixed recyclables, paper, glass, metals, etc.) while remaining out of sight, economical, and ecologically friendly.
Victor Stanley Relay™ Service
The onboard GPS module provides longitude and latitude coordinates of each container and communicates its location to the Victor Stanley Relay™ Service. In turn, our geocoding service automatically looks up the container’s current street address and updates its location. This saves time, money and aggravation when relocating containers for special events or reassignment.
- Elimination of wasteful fixed collection routing
- Reduced fuel costs, resource costs, and CO2 emissions
- Increased environment livability and community satisfaction
- Users can check real-time status of containers
- Customizable alert triggers and push notifications can be set to receive information regarding fill level spikes, container location, collection status and dispatch reporting
- Real-time and historical information to maximize collection planning, scheduling, routing and resource utilization
- Access from anywhere through any device (via web portal) including web browser, smartphone, tablet, etc.
Victor Stanley Relay™ Portal
- Stealthy enclosure hidden within and compatible with Victor Stanley side loading litter receptacle or recycling station dome, rain bonnet, spherical dome, enclosed dome, canopy (i.e. A-24, A-36), solid convex lid (i.e. SDC-24, SDC-36, RSDC-24, RSDC-36). All Sage litter receptacles and recycling stations come standard with Victor Stanley Relay™ Sensor built in with a trial period of the Relay Service.
- Tamper resistant hardware
- 16-gauge spun sheet metal
- 1/8” ABS enclosure cover
- Flame retardant ABS device enclosure
- 1/8” abrasion resistant acrylic sensor cover
- Waterproof gasket
- All fabricated metal components are steel shotblasted, etched, phosphatized, preheated and electrostatically powder-coated with TGIC polyester powder coatings
- Environmental – IP Rating: IP 67 (Dust Tight & Immersion). Operational Temperature (ambient):
- Typical: -10°F to +110°F (-23°C to +43°C)
- Rated: -40°F to +140°F (-40°C to +60°C)
- Environmental Chamber Tested: -40°F to +122°F (-40°C to +50°C)
- Continuously and automatically monitors fill level, weight, location, system temperature, and collection status
- Provides real-time and historical information for analysis and efficient dispatching
- Relay is hosted on a scalable, secure, resilient, and redundant Internet of Things (IoT) specific enterprise-grade cloud computing platform
- Monitors any waste stream – solids, recyclables, etc.
- Zero maintenance
- No installation required
- Off the shelf, economical and easily replaceable Lithium/Iron Disulfide batteries offering superior performance in extreme temperatures
- Additional data access via APIs, JSON, CSV, Excel, XML, and others
- Data access from anywhere and any device via the Victor Stanley Relay™ web portal
- Identity and access management
- Dual container compatible – In certain configurations, one wireless device is capable of monitoring dual container litter and recycling stations while requiring only one Relay service fee. See Package and Compatibility matrix for details.
- Automatically transmits and updates container location when relocated
- Self-contained power supply with an estimated life of 6+ years (typical use monitors once per hour and reports twice daily on average). Battery life may vary depending on configuration, transmission frequency, wireless signal strength and temperature. See battery life expectancy matrix below for further details
- Wireless remote configuration and software updates
- Wireless communications and push notification alerts
- Data can be captured and analyzed to improve efficiencies and operational results
Victor Stanley Relay™ Sensors come fully integrated with any Victor Stanley side loading litter receptacle or recycling station and are ready to be activated once the container has been anchored on site.
Activation of the Relay Service is performed by simply waving the provided magnetic fob over the activation indicator at the center of the sensor. Activation confirmation can be done in the field using any internet connected smartphone or mobile device.
Smart cities are closer to becoming reality… – LinkedIn, Aug 17, 2016
An orderly revolution in waste control – LinkedIn, Aug 5, 2016